Stories about people earning thousands or “how to go viral” just upset me. It happens to one of every 10.000 writers on the platform, and it feels like a massive catfish!
I just got four stories which maybe made a bit of something, and honestly, I get 3–5 euros a month on Medium (which doesn’t even pay the subscription at the end of the year)
Now, before I lose you, I do earn thousands of $$$ writing for other platforms, and I simply use Medium as my white canvas to create drafts and send them to clients. (Because writing here is pretty well organized and easy)
It wasn’t magical, it was a lot of hard work, and my journey can help you achieve the same.
Beware, making a significant income from writing on Medium can be super challenging, and it’s important to approach it with realistic expectations. Here are some non-exaggerated tips for making an income writing on Medium. My advice is to use Medium as an example or portfolio and send it to clients, news outlets and magazines looking for writers.
- Write quality content: The most important aspect of earning money on Medium (or out of it) is writing high-quality content that resonates with readers. Focus on writing well-researched, engaging, and informative articles that provide value to your audience. For me, those telling insane life stories that actually happened to me seem to be always trendy, but also those providing unique Knowledge like Life-changing poems.
- Choose a niche but test a wide arrange of them: While it’s tempting to write about a broad range of topics, choosing a niche can help you build a loyal following and establish yourself as an expert in the field. But it is so hard knowing what people want to read from you. Let the niche choose you! Consider your interests and expertise and focus on writing within 5–10 specific niches, then test results and start narrowing it down.
- Build a following… by following: Building a following on Medium takes time and effort. Engage with your readers by responding to comments and promoting your work on social media. Consider joining writing groups or collaborating with other writers to expand your reach and mostly, follow new writers to get them to follow you back (because that’s what really gets non-viral writers going up).
- Of course, join Medium’s partner program: Medium’s partner program allows writers to earn money from their content based on reader engagement. To join the program, you’ll need to apply and be accepted. Once you’re a partner, you’ll earn some money based on how much time Medium members spend reading your articles. Beware, it is based on the amount of TIME being read!
- Promote your work elsewhere: Besides promoting your work on social media, consider guest posting on other blogs or websites to expand your reach. I simply use the same articles I write here and add them to my own blog as well as small websites. You can also consider pitching your articles to publications or websites that are related to your niche.
- Be patient, read it again… BE PATIENT: Making a significant income from writing on Medium takes time and effort, if you are even lucky to get there! Don’t expect to earn a significant amount of money overnight. Focus on building your following and consistently producing high-quality content and give it years…
- Think of writing a book using all your articles from Medium: This one is self-explanatory but… you already put in the effort. Put it all together and release it as a book that makes sense. Book writers have a special icon within Medium and can make better profits with their books.
Of course, I follow all writers following me (if I don’t just drop a comment and I will!)
Let’s really help each other! https://ferrivero.art